Temporal analysis - burned area

I have committed the script to Custom script github repository.

Thanks to both.

1 Like

Hi ! I found very interesting what you are doing.
I tried to run the scrypt on the playground with out success. I zoomed in a area where i know a fire scar, and changed the pre and post fire dates. Should i change any other parameter?

Thanks in advance

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

you need to use the “temporal” playground app, which is in prototype mode, e.g.:

And then do as you suggested.
If it does not work, let me know, which area you are looking at and which are the dates, so that we can debug.

Best,
Grega

So many thanks Grega! Nice job!

It could be very interesting to export the results into a vectorized polygon, do you think is possible in this environment?

Cheers

Fires in Córdoba, Argentina

1 Like

Looks nice, thanks for sharing.
Vectorized polygon is an output option, see:
https://sentinel-hub.com/develop/documentation/api/output-formats
You would need to configure your Sentinel Hub account properly and then call the service via API though.

Hi @pierre.markuse and @fcbasson

Great script and idea, up until I came across this I had been downloading terabytes of sentinel 2 to calculate difference NBR. However, I cannot see to get the above script to work in the Sentinel Hub Playground (“Error loading image:”), I am a complete noob to this platform. Do you mind please pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
did you use “Temporal version of Sentinel Playground” as linked here:

Or try one link directly as described here:
Temporal analysis - burned area?

1 Like

Hi

Thank you very much for the very interesting script. It is great.

I’m probably asking something very simple, but my problem is that I’m not a programmer. I don´t know if it is possible to use a script like this in “wms configurator”.

In my case what I need is an image resulting from subtracting NDVI values between two dates. But trying to make you more simple, if you can tell me how to use the “Burned area temporal analysis” script in “wms configurator” it would be great. Then I will try to adapt it to what I need.

It is not urgent and thank you very much for you time

Thank you to @gmilcinski for the script and @pierre.markuse for the tweaked version, it works great!

I tried to run the script also in Sentinel EO Browser but it didn’t work. I guess it does work only in the Playground Temporal web app?

You are right, multi-temporal processing is not yet supported in EO Browser, which was designed to show data from single time slices. We do plan to update this, but not one of the top priority features.
You can obviously take EO Browser application source-code and deploy your own, modified, version:

1 Like

Hello Grega

Thank you very much for the reply. It’s great if this option is implemented in the future. Anyway, EO Browser is still very useful and the statistical info option is already very interesting for temporary analysis.

Greetings.

It is possible to understand how to export the analysis performed as a script.
grazie

You can use OGC API to do so:
https://www.sentinel-hub.com/develop/documentation/api/ogc_api

Sorry for the question, but I can’t make this step to download the data.
could you help me if you know a tutorial.
I should do a task but I don’t know the construction of the API very well.
Thanks for your help

Hi,Thank you for the script. I tried running it for my area but it returned a black image. @pierre.markuse ,@fcbasson and @gmilcinski could you please give me ideas on how to customize it to fit my area. What parameters do I need to change/add on the script?

Please note I have no programming skills, I am still trying to teach myself programming.

Hi Nokukhanya, ive noticed to get it working you must do a few things in playground.

1. Zoom in to your area of interest (hint this is only likely to work if your in one Row/Path ie square of satelite imagery, but they are large should you are mostly right
  2. Click on the date selector in playground find before and after dates for which images were taken that day (you can tell by the light grey circle that pops up.
  3. Select the after date from this menu
  4. Also change the dates in the script to those dates
  5. Note the current image displayed (controlled by the date selector in playground can be anytime after but not before or during the dates inputed into the script
1 Like

Im trying to get this working in EO Hub as WMS service, can anyone help what programing tweaks are required?

Hi @alex.clark,
can you be a bit more specific into what exactly you want to do? Not sure I know what is EO Hub.

That being said, in order to make it work through WMS, you will have to tweak the dates of the data to be compared in the Custom script, then Base64 encode this script and send it to the WMS end-point as an EVALSCRIPT parameter.

Thank you so much for your response, I was able to fit the script to my area and show the fire.

I have been trying to take it to ArcGIS online using WMS service by copying and pasting the script on custom script editor on my WMS templates but it doesn’t work. Please assist on how to get this working

Hi @Liphakamile,

I checked the custom script in your WMS collection and realised that you are using an outdated evalscript. Read all about the transition to Evalscript V3 in the documentation and the corresponding forum posts.

Now, to solve your problem you need to take care of two things:

1. You should use this updated and fixed V3 script for burned area visualisation.
  2. Make sure that there is data available in your area of interest for the dates you specify in line 26 of the updated script. Looking at your collection that line would read var allowedDates = ["2019-08-22","2019-09-11"]; in your case.

This worked for me when I tested it in QGIS with the dates and AOI from the custom script example. For other interesting custom scripts for fire detection, wildfire visualisation or burn scar detection please check out our custom scripts repository, which you can also contribute to and share your scripts with other users.

I hope that helps!

Cheers, Max

1 Like