Downloading Sentinel2_L1C timeseries

Hi,

I would appreciate if you let me know if it is possible to download Sentinel2_L1C timeseries clipped for an study area in format .SAFE freely?
If yes what it is?

No, this is not possible. .SAFE format is .SAFE format and you cannot clip it and get .SAFE format out.
You can use Sentinel Hub to clip, i.e. this example, but this is payable service.
Another example on how to fetch time-series.

You can get the same set of features on Copernicus Data Space Ecosystem, free within specific quotas

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that using SentinelHub facilities whether in python or other environments is totally costly?
Does not it have free services for researchers and students?
Is there any tutorial to use Copernicus Data Space Ecosystem for downloading S2 images?

You can get ESA-sponsored package:

Following this procedure, will I get .SAFE clipped S2_L1C images for desired AOI and duration?

There is a github repository called “sentinelhub-py” with a notebook named " Accessing satellite data from AWS". Can I use this method too?

Hi Mahsa,

As you said you were using the Copernicus Data Space Ecosystem, I would recommend you follow the notebooks located in this repository which contains examples specific to the Copernicus Data Space Ecosystem.

As Grega has already answered you cannot clip the .SAFE format. This is only an archive which contains the actual imagery that in its raw form is .JPEG format. However, using Sentinel Hub APIs you can still get your desired result, instead your images would be in GeoTIFF format, for example. In addition, the output is far more flexible using our APIs, for example, you can filter out cloudy acquisitions from your time series and/or specify only the bands that you are interested in.

Hi William,

Delving deeper in Grega and your responses, I found out that I have to go through the following steps:

1- To send my request to ESA-sponsored package to access images freely.
2- To use the repository recommended by you to download the desired data.
3- Be noted that the clipped downloaded images will be in format .GeoTIFF.

Please correct me if I make a mistake.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi,

1. I recommend visiting the NoR website for more information about their sponsored packages.
  2. The repository that I linked to is merely examples on ways to access satellite imagery using the Copernicus Data Space Ecosystem. It would be up to you to develop the scripts for your own use case or application.
  3. The format of your images will depend on how you specify your output, but GeoTIFF is the most commonly used format for satellite imagery analysis.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.