Is additional fee or license required to use S3 data without any other resources?

Hi, I’m planning to make time-lapse movies made with Sentinel data for my customer, that is, for commercial purposes.

The target locations are fixed, and I can find corresponding data in the S3 bucket provided by the AWS Opendata Registry. In this case, I don’t use any other Sentinel-Hub data at all.

On the other hand, the “Terms and condition” said:

1. Copyrights

Any Sentinel data available through the Sentinel Data Hub will be governed by the Legal Notice on the use of Copernicus Sentinel Data and Service Information.

Any other contents of ESA’s Sentinel Data Hub websites are intended for non-commercial use. ESA grants permission to users to visit the site, and to download and copy information, images, documents and materials from the website for non-commercial use. ESA does not grant the right to resell or redistribute any information, documents, images or material from its website or to compile or create derivative works from material on its website. Use of material on the website is subject to the terms and conditions outlined below.

Is the data on S3 can be used commercially because it’s not the contents of ESA’s Sentinel Data Hub websites? Or, I can’t use them for commercial purposes even if I use only S3 data?

Hi @akira_greennote,

you are mentioning several concepts here:

• Sentinel data itself is governed under free and open license and can be used commercially (almost) without limitations
  • Sentinel Hub is a commercial service operated by Sinergise, with Terms descibed here. If you are using Sentinel Hub, i.e. to search for the data or to create time-lapses using EO Browser tool, you will need to have at least Basic subscription in place for commercial use.
  • ESA Sentinel Data Hub is this site, but you are probably not using this if you are accessing data on AWS S3

In case you are accesing Sentinel data directly on AWS S3 and not using any of the other Sentinel Hub services, there are no additional fees required.

Hi @gmilcinski ,

Thank you for your very clear advice. I understand that no fees are required when I use data that comes from S3 itself and don’t use any other Sentinel Hub services.