Multiple Planet API keys

Hello Sentinel team!

Besides using Sentinel Hub for Sentinel, Landsat and Planet imagery we started working with Planet so there’s a change in the neat future we would have a Planet API key directly from them besides the one we have with you.
There are a couple of current and potential big clients that also have their own Planet API key.

All this raises the following question: Are we able to manage multiple Planet API keys? As long as we use the correct API key when creating subscriptions, even if we put those subscriptions in same or different collections, we would have all the imagery available correct?
Is there anything else we should take into account?

Extra question not super related to this one. We are finishing our first year of subscription with Planet quota.
When we purchase a new quota package, all the AOI subscriptions will continue? If so, that means that if I don’t want the same I need to stop those subscriptions first if not I will get part of my quota consumed immediately?

Thanks!

You will need to have a separate account to handle subscriptions with API keys not handled by us. That account has to be configured by us to allow that.
We would recommend you have own collection for each account, but this is not mandatory.
The rest should work normally.

And for your own- yes, you have to terminate subscriptions, which you do not want to continue in the next year.

Just to understand this clearly, when you say having a separate account you mean having different users and passwords, each one with its own oauth clients and collections configured?
So if we have the Planet API key with you + 1 API key with Planet directly + 2 API keys from two big clients we need to have 4 accounts all with different credentials and secrets?

What if for next year instead of purchasing from Sentinel Hub we decide to purchase all from Planet, do we need a new account or could we use the existing account getting the API key swapped?

And for your own- yes, you have to terminate subscriptions, which you do not want to continue in the next year.

I guess this applies if the subscription doesn’t have a timeRange.to date filter right? I mean, the subscriptions we currently have don’t have that filter hence it’s like saying the subscriptions are active indefinitely until contract expires (if not renewed). But this would imply we need to go through all the subscriptions and cancel them. If we would want to avoid this in the future, when creating the subscription we could add the timeRange.to filter somewhere close to contract expiration so when we renew, the old subscriptions from previous contract don’t count for the quota of the new contract.
Would that approach also work right?

You do not need a new account for every API key.
You just need to separate the usage with data purchased with us and the data with externally provided API keys.

If you will have subscriptions active past your billing cycle, they will consume area under management.

You just need to separate the usage with data purchased with us and the data with externally provided API keys

How would we do that? Is it just by having separate collections and using each one for a different API key? Then that’s all we would need to do?

As said, you need two separate accounts - one for data purchased through us and one for theresr

Oh ok, so we do need then to have a separate user + password + oauth credentials for direct Planet API key.

And coming back to this question, could we know if we can do this?

What if for next year instead of purchasing from Sentinel Hub we decide to purchase all from Planet, do we need a new account or could we use the existing account getting the API key swapped?

Yes, that would be fine. We just have to avoid confusion of having two “modes” on the same account

1 Like

Sorry to come back on this thread. One more question about this, we understand that we need to have two separate accounts, one for your API key and one for the API key provided by Planet.

Does that mean we need to pay Sentinel Hub subscription twice? Or is there a way to avoid this since it’s just a limitation of Sentinel Hub that doesn’t support multiple API keys in one account?

How do you guys handle this?

If you have Enterprise-level account, you can have more accounts under the same subcription.
For Exploratory and Basic, one would indeed need two subscriptions.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.