No background using EO Browser

Hello,

I used Eo Browser 2 days ago and everything worker perfectly. Today when i tried to use it, the “background” didn’t load so I can’t see where I am. If I open a random data, it will only partialy load. However, I can still see border using the option. Could you please help him ?

Thank you in advance,

Nathan Paillou

Dear Nathan,

can it be that you are on chrome and recently installed DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials? There is a known issue with the extension blocking the connection to the base map (background) resulting in the white image. If so, you would simply need to disable the extension for EO Browser or use another browser.

If this it not the case, a very slow or broken internet connection can also cause this behavior. Can you in that case share with us some more infos so we are able to reproduce the problem? E.g. which Browser you are using, error messages form the console (you get there via pressing F12).

Hope that helps!

Best,
Daniel

Dear Daniel,

I am on Mozilla Firefox, not on Chrome. My connection is fine.

I am having this trouble during practical work at CentraleSupelec. There are 117 students, and for multiple EO Browser does not work and they have the same problem.

Here is my error message :

Some students have this kind of message :

Error retrieving additional data for WMS service at https://services.sentinel-hub.com/ogc/wms/a322e0b3-0652-4c62-8dde-404781863e5f which is included in theme part MODIS, skipping.

And some have this :

Failed to load ressource: net:::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED 11319.png:1

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,

Nathan

Dear Nathan,

thank you for providing more infos on this!

Unfortunately we are still not able to replicate the bug. Can you share some more infos so we are able to narrow things down further.

1. Can you share with us the URL/Website-link on which this is happening? Does this happen on the home page or only later?
  2. Does this happen always to the same students/respectively on the same computer?
  3. Can you maybe try if the problem is still present when using Firefox in private mode or an other browser (Chrome, Edge) so we can eliminate that it’s connected to some extension/add-on.

Concerning:

Error retrieving additional data for WMS service at https://services.sentinel-hub.com/ogc/wms/a322e0b3-0652-4c62-8dde-404781863e5f which is included in theme part MODIS, skipping.

This can happen sometimes when the data can’t be loaded correctly from services. There can be several reasons why this happens but a refresh of the page usually solves the problem.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Dear Daniel,

It happens since the home page: https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?zoom=10&lat=41.9&lng=12.5&themeId=DEFAULT-THEME

It only happened on Friday, but not on Wednesday, for multiple students. Each student work with his own computer with a different browser. If it happens again tomorrow for our next training class, I will try other browsers. Since Friday, I have used EO Browser four times, and each time I did not have this problem. Could it be because a lot of people try to load at the same time the data of the same place? As they have to do exercise on EO Browser, at least 100 students are loading the background cover and data simultaneously.

Thank you for your help,

Nathan

Dear Nathan,

thanks for the link and the additional infos!

It could indeed be, that with so many students loading the same background cover (via the same IP?) some rate limiting is in place by the basemap provider we use (cartoDB). There might be a warning about this in the console (see my first post, the console has to be opened before you load the page). If this is the problems try to reload the page after 1 minute and it should work.

I hope the tips from my last post already helped and you where experiencing no problems during your last session?

Best,
Daniel

Dear Daniels,

We finally didn’t use EO Browser on Tuesday, but we should use it tomorrow. If this problem happens again, I will send you a copy of my console to see if there is a warning and try to reload the page to see if it changes something.

Best regards,

Nathan