Use Sentinel image as online layer in Google Earth

I use google earth to georeference points of interest where to search for lost historical objects.
In the region where I live the fields spend most of the year covered with sugar cane plantations (where it is impossible to enter due to the density of the vegetation) and when a field is cut it is a great opportunity for me.
For that, I check every 5 days (with each new Sentinel image) where they have made new cuts and thus verify if that open area coincides with any point of interest.

It would be very useful for me to be able to overlay a layer with the latest Sentinel image in google earth, or to be able to bring my points from Google Earth (in KMZ for example) and overlay them in some Sentinel tool.

Is there a way to do either of these two options?

Thank you so much!

Hi Leonardo,

With Sentinel Hub, you can access the data through our OGC APIs, using WMS layers to view the data in other applications. This is part of the technologies that EO Browser is built upon.

You can create WMS layers to then access in the Google Earth application which supports this functionality. Alternatively, you can visualise your layers in QGIS, a GIS application and utilise the Sentinel Hub QGIS Plugin to overlay your points of interest on the latest Sentinel images.

1 Like

Hi William.

I´m very new here but I will try.
Thank you and have a good week!

Leo

Hello William

I tried both ways but without success.

Through sentinel-hub it is a paid service and the value is very high for my standard (it is for private use and I live in Brazil, where to earn 30 EUR I have to work more than one day).
I’ve also tried QGIS, installed it but having trouble registering a google earth package.

Anyway, thank you very much, I will continue reviewing the points manually.
Have a nice night!

Leo

Hi Leonardo,

To help you with this, I would recommend watching this webinar video that was recorded by one of my colleagues. I have linked you to the section of the video showing you how to import WMS layers into QGIS. However, I think it would be really useful for you to watch and follow along to the whole webinar if you can, as all the information should help you with your use case :slight_smile:

Of course, happy to help you if you get stuck anywhere

1 Like

Hi William.

Thanks a lot for the recomendation, I just started watching it (complete, as you recomend me).

In the meantime and until I can understand how to use the tools, I’m doing the work by hand :sweat_smile: (I export the image in JPG from https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/ and then I add it in google earth as an overlay image, but I can only make small pieces of land at a time).

Have a nice day and thanks again!

Leo

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.